Thursday, April 2, 2009

Sleep. . .Please


Okay so as I mentioned in the last blog, our family has recently added a new member. Cal is now 4 weeks old and thriving. He was 6 pounds 15 ounces when he was born, and when Matt weighed him today he was almost 9 1/2 pounds! I guess you could say he's learning eating habits from his daddy already :)
A few nights ago things started to get harder. Cal usually gets up every 3 hours on the nose to eat and get his diaper changed, and then goes right back to sleep. A few nights ago he went to bed like normal, but woke up grunting and really uncomfortable a couple of hours later. When I got up with him, he ate a little, but was obviously having some tummy problems. He was up every couple of hours for the rest of the night, and was still having trouble passing gas and going to the bathroom. The next day I was tired, to say the least. Cal was still much more fussy than usual, and slept more often because of the rough night. I couldn't just sleep all day like him, unfortunately there's always things to do and people to see. The next night was similar, but not quite as bad. I talked to my mom and she suggested there might be something in my diet that is affecting his tummy from the breastmilk. One culprit is often chocolate. I've had some chocolate ice cream and a slice of chocolte cheese cake. The fiber bars I like to eat on the run (or when I just don't have the energy to make something) has chocolate in it. The drink supplement I've been drinking to help keep my energy up is chocolate. I like chocolate. So I was a little disappointed to hear that I should try cutting out one of my staples, but it was worth it if it meant more sleep. The sad thing, I think it really was the chocolate. Since I stopped eating it he's been sleeping a little better (it's going to take some time to really get it out of my system completely), and filling up his diaper with the best of them. So we'll see how the next couple of nights go. Right now I'm tired and am looking forward to at least 3 hours of solid sleep. Oh the joys of parenthood!

No comments:

Post a Comment