Friday, April 24, 2009

Back to Work


I went back to work this week, and it was full of adjustments and compromises. Those long nights haven't gotten any shorter, and now I can't nap during the day to make-up for any of those lost hours either. Matt has been amazing at helping more at night, but now we both wake up bleary eyed and stumbling. This is one of those times in your life everyone says they look back on and don't really miss, but I know that I will miss him being so little and curious.

Our day starts at around 5:30 am with me getting out of bed first and getting myself ready. I run back and forth between our bathroom in our bedroom and the one in the hall so that I don't wake up the little man before I'm ready to feed him. At aroun 6:30 am I get both of my guys out of bed (Cal and Matt :) ) and change and dress Cal before nursing him. He's so wide awake that this is one of my favorite parts of the day. I love watching him look around and just take all of the lights and sounds in. I can tell he's learning something new which is so much fun to watch!

After Cal's full and clothed, the two of us head downstairs to meet up with Matt and the boys. Matt heads down before us to take the dogs out, feed them, and start on the lunches. I usually get Cal's diaper bag together and then eat breakfast with him in my arms. He loves to look out the window behind my chair and see the light play on the trees and glass. By 7:30 am we're starting to pack up the cars and head out the door by 7:45 am. I bring the little man to my mom's house and pick up my sister for school. It's still hard to drop him off, but I know he's in really good hands with my mom. I just miss spending all day with him like I used to! From there I'm off to work/school (one in the same). I pump during morning recess (15 minutes doesn't offer too much time, but I can get the job done), and then I go back to my mom's house at lunch to feed him and snuggle. Back to school and then I pick him up after 3:30 pm. Whew! Makes me tired just writing it all down!

Cal's probably done a lot better with the change in routine than I have. He's getting on a regular nap schedule and learning to be patient when Grams is in the middle of something, like tending to the other 5 kids at her house 3 days a week! I've never been one to leave work right on time unless I have an appointment I need to go to, but now I find myself heading out as soon as my clock hits 3:30 pm each day. Funny how life changes our perspective on things!

Cal at 7 Weeks

Taking a bath after a busy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment